2018 Retreat: Pecos Monastery
May 21 – 26, 2018
Painting and Calligraphy
Calligraphy: Textura; Painting: Layering and Glazing
Week long retreat: Monday through Saturday with a half day on Wednesday and Saturday
Up to 12 students
Space requirements: 6ft. table per student
Artwork with a Focus on the Sacred
This retreat is open to your own personal focus of the subject matter that you consider sacred. We will have a framework of lettering and a framework of painting techniques, which also can be combined. The participant can focus on one technique or all techniques. Personal style is encouraged and techniques can be adjusted to suit the participant.
The past two retreats have focused on lettering styles based on a circle: Foundational and Uncial. This year we will have as our main lettering and demo focus the Textura style, an upright condensed style which some will know by other names such as Old English or Blackletter. Experienced students who already know this hand can focus on refining their work, a traditional variation or an innovation unique to their own personal taste.
We will look at art techniques that can be used to focus on sacred subjects. Images will be provided or participants can bring their own. We will be using layering and glazing techniques to create depth with a spiritual or ethereal effect.
Both techniques can be combined into one work of art; either a traditional illuminated manuscript page or a more freeform painting.
Please expect a week of learning, sharing and inspiration as we “Focus on the Sacred”.
Materials Fee – $30: Includes Acrylic paints, some inks, and a painting ground such as Watercolor paper sheets, Bristol sheets, (I will also bring small painting boards and some loose canvas which you can buy at my cost). Will also include a take home multiple page handout. I will bring larger straight-edges and some triangles.
- Dip pen holders
- Speedball C series 0, 1, 2 or equivalent larger sizes in Brause, Mitchell or your preferred broad edged nib.
- Walnut, sumi or some suitable, nicely flowing ink for practice. Acrylic ink if you want to combine with painting.
- Graph Paper for practice, 11 X 17 Bond with 8 grid (4 is acceptable, 8 preferred)
- Water containers for rinsing brushes and nibs.
- Paper towels or rags for wiping nibs
- Ruler and triangle for layout
- Soft eraser
- 4h pencil
- (Optional) Sakura “Pigma” Calligrapher marker pens; sizes 30 and 20
- (Optional) Speedball Textbook, 24th (Centennial) Edition
- (Optional) Your favorite watercolor or paper to write on
- Class supplies of acrylics will be available, however if you are specific on color bring what you want.
- Your favorite brushes designed for acrylic or watercolor: Small pointed for detail work, filberts for painting, flat for washes or lettering.
The fee for a private room, meals, and class is $745.
The commuter fee is $450. (The mid-day meal is included.)
In addition, a $30 fee for materials will be payable on arrival.
To register, please contact our Retreat Director Bruce Wadsworth at email@example.com or 505-757-6415 ext 112. A deposit of $100 is required to confirm your reservation.